THRIVE IN UNIVERSITY REGARDLESS OF MENTAL ILLNESS

Two weeks into the new year and university is once again in full swing. Although I'm no longer a student, it was only a short 8.5 months ago that I stepped on stage to accept my Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. I still remember the mixed feelings of excitement and dread that accompanied the beginning of a new semester.

Excitement to take another step in the direction of achieving my goal of becoming a Registered Nurse and to regain some semblance of a routine. Dread because although I love to learn, the school environment had a habit of wreaking havoc on my mental health.

My Story

Growing up, I always struggled with going to school. On the first day of kindergarten I cried and clung to my mom, devastated at the thought of her leaving me in a room full of strangers. Although I adapted to being in the school environment, things took a downward spiral when in grade two I started getting bullied by an older girl. It was at age seven that I began my journey with depression, a journey that grew darker as the bullying continued and the insecurities escalated.

By the time I graduated high school, I had spent my teen years feeling highly suicidal, and my depression had made friends with anxiety as well as an eating disorder that would begin at 16 years-old and continue for another eight years. My late teens and early twenties were filled with numerous self-destructive actions and it wasn't until I turned 23 that I finally began to gain some semblance of control over my mental illness, and therefore, my life. It was also at this age that I finally felt mentally strong enough to begin a new chapter of my life - university.

Although my mental state was beginning to turn around for the better (something I never dreamed possible during many of my darkest years), university would prove to be an incredible challenge for me. I took many steps backwards in-regards to my mental health and hit many low points. Low points that were fueled by my longstanding battle with depression, anxiety, and bulimia; the unhappiness that arose while in the school environment; an unhealthy 3.5 year relationship that would begin a month into my first year of university; and the grueling schedule that accompanies a nursing degree.

I am sharing a bit of my story to show you that not only is it possible to make it through university with mental illness but that it is possible to make it through and come out THRIVING. Below are a few of the steps that I took to help turn my mental illness into mental wellness.

5 Steps to Mental Wellness

1. Exercise

I'm sure you've heard the saying that "exercise is nature's antidepressant" and if you haven't heard this before, well, you're hearing it now. Not only have I experienced firsthand the multitude of benefits that appear when one consistently exercises, but this phrase has been backed by numerous scientific studies. Not only has regular exercise been proven to improve mood, increase confidence, and improve sleep quality, it has also been proven to decrease anxiety and depression.

It isn't always easy to get yourself to exercise when you're struggling with your mental health - in fact, it can seem downright impossible at times - but some of the most noticeable changes in your mental status will occur once you fall into a regular workout routine. Even better? If that workout involves time spent outside. It doesn't matter if at first all you do is go for a walk, anything that gets you moving and your blood flowing is better than nothing.

2. Take Mental Health Days

Do you know how many classes I skipped while obtaining my degree? No? Well, I don't know either because the number is too high. In fact, I skipped so many classes that when I DID show up, my classmates were surprised. Now, I'm not telling you to follow in my footsteps. Looking back, I do wish that I had attended more classes. However, what I am suggesting is that you give yourself mental health days. The world won't end if you miss a class (or two or three) and if you're motivated, you can do a lot of the classwork at home (depending on the subject). 

So - take that extra day off to get more sleep. Give your mind a day of rest by doing the things that bring you joy. Go for a walk outside and breathe in the fresh air. Read a book. Pamper yourself (guys included!). Take care of your mind and give it the rest it requires, just as you would rest your body if you were fighting off a physical illness.

3. Create a Support Group

If I were to have a regret it would be that it took me awhile to build a proper support group. I spent the majority of my first year of university questioning my decision to become a nurse and this caused me to distance myself from my peers. When I finally let my guard down and allowed myself to be vulnerable, I ended up forming some of my strongest and most beautiful friendships. These incredible women helped me get through my darkest university moments and not only that - they helped me evolve into who I am today.

An important thing to keep in mind, however, is this: be selective with who you choose to let into your life. Your mind is sacred and as another popular saying goes, "you are like the 5 people you spend the most time with." Choose wisely. Surround yourself with those that bring light, love, and positivity into your life. The right relationships can be a powerful tool in overcoming mental illness. The wrong relationships can destroy you.

4. Debt is Okay and Grades Are Just Numbers

This may not go over well with some of you but...it's okay if during your time in university you acquire some (or a lot) of debt and it's okay if you don't have a perfect GPA. Before you label me as crazy, hear me out.

Going into university I knew that I would acquire a hefty amount of debt by the time my four years was up and I knew that I wouldn't be the top student in my class. I knew this because although I wanted so badly to be the type of person that could do full time school with a perfect GPA while working full time, I knew that for ME and my current mental health, it wasn't realistic. Having perfect grades feels amazing and having no debt is ideal but it's important to remember this:

Grades and money mean nothing without mental wellness.

University is difficult enough without depression, anxiety, or any of the other forms of mental illness. The last thing you need is to make it worse by making your grueling schedule even more grueling. If you're able to get perfect grades, work full time, and maintain a strong mental mindset, that's awesome! If you're able to do school and only school, that's OKAY. We are taught from an early age to strive for perfection but what we often fail to realize is that perfection does not exist and what works for one person may not work for you. Do what YOU need to do in order to get through university with thriving mental wellness. A's are cool but so are B's if those B's are a result of you conquering your mental illness. Being debt free is ideal but being illness free is even more ideal. Once you are mentally strong there will be no challenge too difficult to overcome - including debt.

5. Treat Your Body Like a Temple

Is this a cliche statement? Perhaps. Is it great advice? Absolutely. Especially if you struggle with your mental health. Whether it's partying, alcohol, drugs, sleepless nights, or junk food - university offer many opportunities to engage in activities that worsen mental illness. Each of the things listed act as depressants and yet, many of us consistently engage in them anyways. We do this even though  9/10 times we know that we'll feel horrible the next day. It can be easy to forget that when you feel good physically, you feel good mentally.

If you currently engage in activities that don't benefit your mind, body, or soul, I encourage you to take the time to write down what those activities are and how they tend to make you feel. Once you've created this list, write down what you could do instead that would have an opposite, more positive effect on your mental well-being. I'm going to repeat this one more time - how you feel PHYSICALLY translates into how you feel MENTALLY. Treat your body well.

The Takeaway

Although this post is aimed at helping those of you currently in university, the advice listed above can be used by anyone struggling with mental illness or a less than ideal level of mental health. Remember - no matter how dark your days feel, no matter how hopeless a situation seems - you CAN overcome those thoughts and feelings.

Do not fall into the trap of letting a diagnosis define you. 

You are more than your mind.


Comments